Friday, November 16, 2007

Shop Till You Drop in Toronto (without breaking the bank)

I recently went on a scour of the city looking for some cheap thrills (of the discounted merchandise kind!) and found a few great places I'd love to share:

1. UpCountry (310 King St E)- Sadly, I must report that one of my favourite retail outlets, UpCountry has gone bankrupt. Good news for us is that they are are selling off all of their merchandise at their King Street location. I just purchased a $500 8' x 5' area rug for $100 that will look fabulous in my new apartment. There was a chaise lounger originally priced close to $5000 on sale for $1100 and an AMAZING Steelcase vintage desk that I am hoping to nab for a client (so hands off- just kidding).

For an article on the downfall of UpCountry (so sad!) http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/266484

2. urban essential (175 King St E)- Also in the King E neighbourhood, urban essential boasts adorable accessories and a plethora of quality pieces at great price points. I found a chaise lounger I'm going to pitch to a client because its full of whimsy ($915), a beautiful bench that I'm trying to convince my fiance is worth the money they're asking for ($215) and some beautiful decorative plates ($5 - $45) good for a housewarming gift.

3. The Brick Clearance Centre (4250 Dufferin Street)- Hello amazing deals, well worth the drive. The Brick has moderate prices already, so you can imagine what its Clearance Centre is like. They had Parsons chairs for $100, sofas in the $500 - $600 range and best of all- if you are into "reclaimed chic" here are some amazing deals:

  • dining table tops- $49. Attach legs you can purchase from Rona or Home Depot and you've got a custom table.
  • table bases- $19. They are currently selling sleek metal bases to coffee and side tables (you get three table bases for $19!!!!!). I can picture either an amazing tray or a piece of wood that you tile in a mosaic pattern acting as an amazing table top. Again, a completely unique table with your signature on it.
  • damaged items- Because it is the clearance outlet, you can find items that are lightly bruised for a fraction of the retail cost. I found a beautiful ladder shelf, lightly scratched for $98. Another find was a gorgeous lamp with a small nick on the side for $29. Nothing a black sharpie marker can't disguise.
Happy shopping- feel free to post your own finds!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP