Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Episode 8- You might even call me a bargainista


I love the word bargain. For Derek and Nessa's living room and dining room I was able to score several. Here are a couple of way to save money/add originality in your living / dining room:

COUCH- We were able to get an "AS-IS" couch from IKEA for several hundred dollars. I have seen some as low as $500, originally marked at $1200. If you don't mind a few minor scuffs (that can be covered with new slipcovers), be dilligent in shopping their AS IS department.

CHAIRS- I bought their chairs for $5 each at Goodwill (yes! $5!!!!!). With new fabric and a little ingeniuity (and trial and error) I recovered them myself. For a quick how-to, read my post on do-it-yourself upholstering. A much less expensive alternative, even if you do get them covered professionaly.

CHANDELIER- At first, we were going to make a custom lampshade. But while shopping at Romancing the Home on the Danforth, I found an AMAZING crystal chandelier. What I love about the chandelier is that is has both masculine and feminine appeal. And as a plus, you can alter how many crystals hang from it. While I love reclaiming things, I think it is important to invest money and treat yourself to showstopper pieces.

TYPEWRITER- old typewriter + cute lovenotes= unique message centre. I found the typewriter for $10 at Double Take on Gerrard. (I have another in my garage that I found at Goodwill for $5). I was lucky- it was still operational, an Derek and Nessa use it to leave each other a string of messages. Plus, it's vintage appeal acts as a conversation starter.

Love to hear about your own unique finds- please feel free to post your own tips.

9 comments:

Unknown November 26, 2007 at 7:31 PM  

Hi Lisa,
I was watching 'Marriage Under Construction' and love a piece of art in the background in what I believe is the dining room. This piece of art is mainly blue with a guy with a surfboard next to a girl in a bathing suit. Do you know where this price came from? If so you can reach me at kimberley@rykon.ca or my husband's email at woolcoveredwolf@gmail.com
Love what you do on the show.
Thanks, Kim

J November 29, 2007 at 7:20 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
J November 29, 2007 at 7:21 PM  

Hi Lisa,

Great job on the show! Your positive approach to every situation is truly infectious and you are a treat to watch (I have a funny feeling we might be seeing you on your own show soon enough). Now a question for you… E8 – I was wondering where you found the 90 degree shelves on the wall?

J

Lisa Canning November 30, 2007 at 11:57 AM  

Hi James,

Thank you for the sweet comment! The 90 degree shelves were courtesy of Vincenzo Sica, the contractor on the show. We had to cut the ends of the shelves to fit and look balanced, so he added the ends to make a return.

Thanks for watching!

Lisa

Anonymous,  February 19, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

Hi Lisa,

I agree with James, I think we'll be seeing you again soon ...

I'd love to know where the fireplace is from ...

Thanks!

Lisa Canning February 19, 2008 at 11:53 AM  

Hi there,

The fireplace is from InFlame and you can find more information about them at InFlame.ca. They have great environmentally friendly products!

Unknown February 20, 2008 at 8:25 PM  

Hi Lisa
I love what you did with the dining room and was wondering if you could tell me where the dining room table and sideboard came from, as well as the mirror/artwork over the sideboard.
You did such an awesome job on this show!

Lisa Canning February 21, 2008 at 7:01 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Canning February 26, 2008 at 6:25 AM  

Hi Colleen,

Thanks for your comment!

The table and sideboard are both from IKEA, from the BJURSTA series.

The piece of art on the sideboard is a poster called "The Kiss" depicting a boy and a girl reuiniting after the war. It can be purchased at most poster shops.

The mirrors on the other wall are a series of candle plates I bought at Dollarama and adhered to a piece of MDF.

Happy decorating!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP